Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 72 - Stopped Rearranging Chairs on the Titanic

Today, I've done something I never thought I would do. I had my acrylic nails taken off. This seemingly small thing has actually very deep psychological roots oddly enough. When I think back as to why I had the nails put on in the first place it was because I perceived myself as being unfinished. I always admired people with nice nails and always thought they looked so put together. So because I had difficulties maintaining my own nails, I sought out getting acrylic nails and have had them on for approximately 8 years or so. I think in my mind, that having perfect nails meant I was put together and paid attention to detail about my appearance but I was ignoring the biggest part of my appearance. My weight. I was not dealing serious enough about my weight. So, I realize now, that was kind of like rearranging chairs on the Titanic. Doing little things but not really dealing with the big problem. I had come to that realization prior to my starting Medi Weightloss when I would sit at the nail salon and watch other women getting their nails done. There were women in the salon that were my size and larger. I thought to myself. Look at them, they are so worried about their appearance that they are getting their nails done but why? Why, when their bodies are so big are they worrying about such a little detail...well, I turned that mirror back on myself rather quickly. I realized I was doing it for the same reasons they were. They couldn't control their weight so they were, like me, making themselves feel better by attending to their nails. So, now that I've lost 30 pounds and I'm feeling good about myself, I can stop rearranging the chairs. I have tackled the bigger problem. I think I would appreciate the natural nail look a lot more now. So my weigh-in was yesterday and I was down another 1.3 pounds for a total weight loss of 29.5.

To see Day 70 post - click here

3 comments:

  1. Cindy, you are such an inspiration! I had never thought of the "cosmetics" of a weight problem. Thank you so much for the insight! I am so proud of you! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is deep!!! and you nailed it! for me, it's always my hair...oh that half pound is just teasing you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh forgot to tell you that I have something for you over on my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete