Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 4 - Happy New Year

10:16 a.m. - Happy New Year! Enjoyable evening at home last night. Since I really could only eat protein, I hated the idea of going out but you know it was nice to stay home with the kids and play games. We ate dinner and played a game of Scrabble and then around 10 pm we made appetizers and played Tribond and then Steven and I played another game of Scrabble until the ball dropped in Times Square. We had Champagne (the kids had sparkling cider) and toasted the New Year. How did I do with the diet? Well all in all not too bad. I think the psychological factor of knowing I'm on the program and the supplements and medication helped me not blow it. I paced myself with food earlier in the day so and only had chicken for dinner so that I could have some shrimp as my appetizer while Stan, Steven and Carrie, had chips and dip and pizza rolls. I was temped with the chips but I snitched one and even though I handled the pizza rolls a couple of times, I did not take one. My normal routine when I was on a "diet" was snitch a few because, what would it hurt? Well that is why I look the way I look so with my new determination, I was not tempted. I did however, sneak a couple of bites of the chili I made for Dinner. I love chili and of course I had to taste it to see if it was seasoned right. Anyway, I made a chicken breast to have while the fam ate the chili and garlic bread. So overall, I think I was 75 cals over my 500 goal for the day. But since it was mostly protein I don't think the dietitian will yell at me.

10:31 p.m. Made it through day 4 not too bad. First day I tested my ketones and they were in the minimal range and that is good. Being in ketosis means I'm burning fat. I have to measure it every day. Not hard ...just pee on a test strip. Enjoyed the day lounging at home in the morning/early afternoon. Then Carrie and I set out for a little shopping/errands. I made it through taking her out for lunch at Fridays by ordering a grilled chicken dish with the glaze on the side. My thought was that since the dish came with a full breast instead of just 1/2 the breast, I would eat the 1/2 of the breast and box the rest to take home for either Stan or Steven to eat. I hate being one of those fussy people in a restaurant asking for special things so that was a good compromise for me. I also asked the waiter to bring a box immediately so I wouldn't be further tempted. The next challenge was the coffee shop at Barnes and Nobels. The sweet coffee drinks I usually drink have to become a thing of the past for me so while Carrie got her usual Strawberries and Cream frappuccino, I ordered a plain coffee and added the Splenda and half and half on my own and even then, I just drank half of it. Half and half has 1 carb per table spoon so that is okay for me to have in moderation. That at least replaced one habit with another. Headed home and played a game of Scrabble with Steven and then had my last meal, which was 3 ounces of Tuna with the Miracle Whip Free. Satisfied with that. Calories for the day were under the 500 at 385...but with my going over yesterday I think that is okay. It is probably even less than that because believe or not, I couldn't even eat the entire breakfast that I had planned out that would have put me to the 500. I made a 4 egg white "omelet" (with nothing in it can it be called an omelet?) and only ate about 3/4 of that and instead of the 2 turkey sausage patties I planned, I only ate 1 (it did help that they did not taste like real sausage and in which case I would have eaten both). So I deducted the one sausage patty but left the full count for the egg. Here's the count for the day.

Noon - Egg Whites (4) and 1 Turkey Sausage Patty 115 calories
4 p.m. - Chicken Breast 4 oz 140 calories
7:30 p.m. - Tuna salad 135 calories

1 comment:

  1. hi there, I so admire your timing in starting this...having battled weight all my life...I know how hard it is. Always wondered what the Medi Life program was like...I think that is probably the only one I haven't tried (and Nutrisystem - it's too expensive)....I do love the Adkins (with a little more carbs than they like) and lose weight when I stick with it.
    You are doing GREAT to have gone through last night without any major slip-ups!!!
    I am rooting for you and will add your journey to my prayer list! It really is such a big change in life to change how you eat!!!
    will be back to check on you! btw, what is your goal and how long have you given yourself?
    hugs to you!!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete