Friday, January 15, 2010

Day 18 - Temptation Thwarted


Last night I hosted my friends for our weekly card making night. We have dinner and then clear the table for all of our card making paraphernalia. Well, I made chili, which I think I mentioned in a previous post that I love. The big news is that I did not make it with the usual huge bottle of ketchup (old family recipe) instead I used a can of crushed tomatoes, seasonings, etc.. When it came time to eat, I was able to portion out what I thought looked like my usual portion of protein and I picked out the beans (beans are not allowed on this phase of the diet) and ate my salad dressed with rice wine vinegar. I ignored the garlic bread that I served with the chili. That really wasn't bad. I had the taste of the chili without feeling guilty as that with the small salad I think constituted the protein and vegetable requirements for that meal and it was enough to make me satisfied without feeling deprived. We also celebrated one of our member's birthdays and another member brought the birthday cake...a Publix Bakery birthday cake with the butter cream icing and big luscious flowers. Chocolate cake with white icing....omg. Well, the devil on one shoulder wanted me to go back to my old way of thinking and say "oh, just one little piece won't hurt. I've been so good for 17 days." That's when the little angel on the other shoulder was saying "That's was the old you. That's not you any more." So, aside from one tiny little lick of frosting off my finger, I did not have any cake but boy that lick of frosting off my finger was good. Losing weight is such a battle within your emotions and thinking. My approach to temptation in the beginning of the diet was to tell myself, "that's why I look this way" and "that's why I have to be on this program." and now that I have lost weight and can feel the difference, I tell myself "that was the old me." I know the patterns and the habits that got me into trouble with my weight over the years and I have to be conscious of that and be able to have those self-talks with myself to keep my resolve that I will lose this weight and I know that will help in the future to keep it off.

2 comments:

  1. just finished reading and catching up!! WOW I am loving your resolve - your posts are encouraging me!!! I am cutting back on ALL sweets..not just ready to commit to Adkins but feel it may be soon - got to have your head AND heart into it and I'm not there...WAIT how did I turn this to me!!! YOU are doing incredible! especially the cake AND not eating the bread!! but then again..almost FOURTEEN POUNDS OMG!! thats a dress size!!! are you trying on those old clothes!!! that is such a great feeling...FOURTEEN pounds - what a huge boost for the old girly ego!! I am thrilled for you....you are closer to your goal than you thought you'd be!!! I will be back!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy....you go girl! I am cheering you on and praying for you too. I had a weight problem as a child and went to Weigt Watchers at age 7, they tell me I am youngest member to attend. You have to be 10 years of age now. WW taught me discipline, that is the key to losing weight, you have to train yourself to say "NO" and be happy about it. I wish you much success! I am headed to your stamping blog, I am a stamper too that is how I found you, blog hopping. Have a wonderful evening!

    enjoy *~*

    ReplyDelete